The East Midlands region started the ball rolling by suggesting a basket of voluntary local metrics which we consulted LG Inform users on. This resulted in a small selection of indicators which authorities felt were not being covered in a timely manner by existing statistics.
We have seen growing interest in using LG Inform as a free benchmarking service and to maximise its usefulness we are keen to see the basket of metrics grow to meet the needs of all authorities.
You don’t have to submit data for all metrics to participate, just those that are of interest to you locally. The upload process is designed to be very quick and easy, and involves simply entering your authority’s figure into an online form.
The current basket of metrics is:
- Percentage of household waste sent for reuse, recycling and composting – quarterly
- Kg of residual waste per household – quarterly
- Average number of working days lost due to sickness absence per FTE (full-time equivalent) employee (including schools) - quarterly
- Average number of working days lost due to sickness absence per FTE (full-time equivalent) employee (excluding schools) - quarterly
- Number of formal complaints received - quarterly (this is to be used as a numerator for the metric 'number of formal complaints received per 10,000 population'
- Number of fly tipping incidents - quarterly
- Number of fly tipping enforcement notices - quarterly
- Number of unique website visitors (excluding authorities own staff) - quarterly (this will be used to calculate visitors as a proportion of the population)
Detritus, graffiti, fly posting and litter – new from Q4 2017
- Percentage of relevant land and highways that is assessed as having deposits of litter, detritus, graffiti and fly-posting that fall below an acceptable level (calculated from number of sites by grade data)
- Cleanliness Index (calculated from number of sites by grade data)
Annual Workforce Survey metrics – new from Q4 2017
- Gross training expenditure (this will be used to calculate gross training expenditure per employee)
- Gross expenditure on member development (this will be used to calculate gross expenditure on member development)
- Off the job training days (this will be used to calculate off the job training days per employee)
- Labour turnover
- Vacancy rate
- Short-term sickness absence rate
- Long-term sickness absence rate
- Short-term absence FTE days per employee
- Long-term absence FTE days per employee
- Sickness absence FTE days per employee
- Percentage of the top 5 per cent earners who are women
- Percentage of the top 5 per cent earners who are from an ethnic minority
- Percentage of the top 5 per cent earners who have a disability